Friday 12 December 2014

Vet conversations #1

I recently had a wee holiday abroad for a couple of weeks. One of the friends I was visiting said that her vet wanted to meet me, so I hung out at the vet surgery for a while then went for dinner with her and her husband. We had a great time and talked non stop for hours, whilst eating El Salvadorian food ( highly recommended). This part of our conversation stood out for me though:

Do you have any pets of your own?
Yes, I've got a dog.
How many legs does he have?
Well, he's actually got four legs.
Oh! How many eyes does he have?


There is a truth in here, that vets often take pity on the lame ducks and end up with all sorts of damaged pets. My own is sound in body in limb, but was rescued as quite a young dog. The echoes of a bad start still reverberate. 

When he arrived, all gangly legs and spotty pink nose he didn't know much about domestic life. If you sneezed, he came rushing over and stuck his nose right in your face to see what was happening. He would lick your legs dry when you came out of the shower. He was fascinated by the toilet flush and tried to discover where it went. If he was lonely, he would steal a pair of my other half's pants, take them to his bed and chew out the crotch. Over time that changed to just stealing things and sleeping on them, and then to not stealing at all.  The rug chewing stopped. The furniture climbing stopped. All the things that had us questioning whether he would ever be liveable with stopped.

These days he is a happy, well balanced boy who is very sociable and easy going. He doesn't like little white dogs, he has a girlfriend called Tess and a lurcher he chats up in the park, called Ava. His newest buddy is a working cocker spaniel who adores him and tries to get into his bed with him. They play a strange version of musical chairs, but only she knows the rules and he is left guessing. 

He has become a wonderful companion, by my side nearly 24/7, sharing in some great adventures. He is loving and gentle and very funny. He gives me a song now and then. We have very full two-way conversations, he is very vocal with his opinions. I wouldn't be without him.

No comments: